Thursday 23 June 2011

Steven Whitaker speeds to Hickstead victory

Steven Whitaker and Royal Rose
Steven Whitaker’s run of international success continued at Hickstead today (23 June 2011) when he won the Stoner Jewellers Vase with his own Royal Rose. His exceptionally fast time, produced from and early draw was only bettered by Shane Breen (KEC Alicante), but at the expense of the second last wall.

“I am getting some really good results at the moment,” said Steven. “I’ve won about £60,000 this year and about 15 international classes in the past 12 weeks.”
Royal Rose, a winner of three classes at Olympia with Steven’s daughter Ellen, has been campaigned by his owner since spring this year.

“I was in Italy and got invited to another few shows,” Steven explained. “I needed another horse and couldn’t take owners’ horses off the kids. Royal Rose is mine, so I pinched him of Ellen!

“I don’t ride like Ellen and usually if I ride one of her horses it’s just to keep it ticking over, not to be really competitive. However, I’ve gone so well with this one that she’s asked me to show her how to ride him when I give him back!”

Moving up
Steven’s recent successes have included a number of Rolex world ranking classes.

“I’ve gone from nowhere to about 250,” said Steven. “And I must be in the top 25 in Britain now.”

The strings of victories Steven has had have also helped him to prove a point.

“Last year I was called a failed rider on TV about three times,” he said. “I think I’ve shown I can actually go out there and get the results.”

Having been trainer to his children Ellen, Joe, Thomas and Donald for 20 years, Steven seems to be relishing his current competitive career.

“I am 54 and I want to do more,” he said. “So maybe I’ll have to keep nicking the kids’ horses!”

Jane Annett and Zidane V
Derby Tankard
Six made the jump-off of the Bunn Leisure Derby Tankard, but after Peter Murphy decided not to ride Renkum Off Centre again, just five went against the clock.
Jane Annett proved to be the best of these, heading the class on her own Zidane V.

“I watched Michael Whitaker and Tina Fletcher jump before I went in,” said Jane. “Michael was leading and although I think he was quicker on the first part of the course than me, I got into a good rhythm and was faster towards the end.”

Formerly a dressage horse before becoming a show jumper, Zidane V, a 10-year-old Selle Francais Jane bought three years ago, is a bit quirky.

“He was a bit naughty,” said Jane. “That’s why I ended up getting him.”
Together with eight-year-old Coco Loco, whom Jane has had from a two-year-old, she is able to contest bigger classes.

“I can’t afford to buy ready-made horses, so I have to produce them from youngsters,” she said. “The downside of that, of course, is that it takes a lot of time.”

Good going
Today was the first time that the new turf in the International Arena was ridden on. It looks immaculate and feels like a carpet to walk on. It easily took the water from the heavy downpours that hit the show throughout the day.

“It wasn’t slushy or anything,” Steven Whitaker said having ridden during and after rainfall.

Jane Annett said she’d even considered having a snooze on it, it looked so comfortable. Edward Bunn and his team should be very proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment