Monday 28 February 2011

McLain Ward takes WEF Fidelity Investments Grand Prix

McLain Ward and
Pjotter van de
Zonnehoeve.
By sportfot.com
The USA's McLain Ward headed the $78,000 Fidelity Investments CSI** Grand Prix with Pjotter Van De Zonnehoeve, taking the win on the evening of 27 February under lights at the Palm Beach International Equestrian Center.

Thirty seven riders representing 12 different countries made up the international field competing over a course designed by Germany's Olaf Petersen Jr. Seven jumped clear in the first round to go forward and battle for top honors in the jump-off. US riders took the top three places with Olympians McLain Ward, Beezie Madden and Margie Engle leading the class.

Drawn fourth, Beezie Madden and Coral Reef Via Volo were the first pair to jump double clear and stopped the clock in 42.81 seconds to take the lead, eventually finishing in second place.
Margie Engle came next with Indigo, but an unfortunate rail at the second to last fence cost the duo four faults and their time of 45.13 seconds landed third place.

McLain really wanted this win after finishing second in several Grands Prix during the WEF circuit. His motivation led to a fast, clear round aboard Louisburg Farm's Pjotter van de Zonnehoeve to top the leaders, stopping the clock in 42.08 seconds, the fastest round of the night.


Pjotter Van De Zonnehoeve is a 10-year-old Dutch warmblood gelding by Plato x Emilion and has adavnced quickly.

"Beth Johnson was nice enough to give me the ride on this horse and he has been a star since he came out," said McLain. "I'm kind of excited about the future with him. I did the night Grand Prix in week two and he had four faults but went brilliantly and he has been clear in three or four of the WEF Challenge Cup classes. He is just a cool horse. He's electric careful and he has a big heart. I think he trusts me and I believe in him. It has been a really great match.


"I got to see Beezie go and I know her horse has a very big stride. Pjotter is a little inexperienced, but he's naturally a very fast horse.

"I was a little concerned with the rollback on the triple bar because he's very careful. I thought if I didn't meet that right I was in a little bit of trouble, but it showed up great. I knew I could run across the middle of the ring to that second to last vertical and he wouldn't touch it. I figured I'd give it a shot. I've had a lot of second places and I got nipped by Beezie last week, so it was certainly in the back of my head; I wanted to give it a go."

For full results, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment