Monday 21 February 2011

Marie Hecart secures victory in WEF Suncast classic

Marie Hecart and Babbe
can't Roosakker. By
sportfot.com
France's Marie Hecart and the Haras de la Roque's Babbe van't Roosakker won the sixth Suncast 1.50m championship classic (19 February). At the end of the series $50,000 in rider bonus money will be awarded to the winner.

There were 34 entries in the class and seven made the jump-off over Steve Stephens' shortened course. Mariet and Babbe van't Roosakker, a 10-year-old Belgian warmblood mare by Kannan, were able to keep a quick pace and efficient turns for the fastest double clear jump-off ride in 39.50 seconds.

Second place went to Sergio Niento Del Rio and Fabiana, who were also double clear in 41.25 seconds, while Brtain's Scott Brash and Intertoy Z were just behind in third in 41.36 seconds.

History
Marie and Babbe have a long history together. Her family and father, Michel Hecart, run a large breeding operation of 200 horses at Haras de la Roque, which is next to the Deauville showgrounds. Babbe has been in the barn since she was two years old. Marie rode the mare when she was five years old before she moved to North America. Michel was due to arrive in Wellington the day afer this class to help the French team prepare for the $75,000 FEI Nations Cup, presented by G&C Farm, on Friday, 4 March.

"All the horses that I ride now are from them," said Marie. "It's perfect for me. They send horses to me that are for sale. It works well. I knew her a little bit when she was young, but she has changed a lot. My dad rode her and she did Grands Prix in France.

"I think it was a nice course considering the ring," Marie added. "He didn't build too big, which is good because there were a lot of tight turns. I watched parts of the jump-off. I wanted to make sure what I walked would work, and that I could do the inside turn. I just went, and it worked!"

Marie and Babbe were third in last week's 1.50m class, which shows great consistency for the mare.

For full results, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment