Saturday 5 February 2011

Donald Cheska and Ad Fundum head Spy Coast Farm speed challenge

Donald Cheska and Ad Fundum.
By sportfot.com
Donald Cheska took victory on Ericka Baran's Ad Fundum in the $6,000 Spy Coast Farm 1.40m Sspeed challenge at the FTI Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF) in Florida on Friday, 4 February 2011.

Forty-four entries set out over the course set by Britain's Richard Jeffery and seven were able to jump clear. Donald and Ad Fundum's time of  70.83 seconds was set with just a few left to go.

Donald and Ad Fundum just edged out Cypriano, owned by Equinvest and ridden by Julie Welles, who finished in 71.91 seconds. Jonathan McCrea and Candy Tribble & Windsor Show Stables' Victor VDL were also fast and clear with a time of 75.47 seconds to earn the third place, while Britain's Ben Maher and Quainton Quirifino Z finished in fourth in 76.58 seconds.

Ad Fundum, an 11-year-old Belgian warmblood gelding by Clinton, was bought by Donald as a five-year-old and sold to amateur rider Ericka Baran two years ago. Ericka jumps Ad Fundum in the high amateur-owner jumpers classes and Donald now only jumps him occasionally.

"This is a very competitive, fast horse," said Donald. "He does the high amateurs with his owner and I was really just schooling the horse a little bit, but he likes to win so I had to give him a chance. I was busy in every other ring and I came up about eight or nine horses out and learned the course. I know him really well so I can climb on him a little late and a little unorganized and know how he is going to go, so that helps."

Donald did not have the opportunity to watch many rounds before his, so he just concentrated on his horse.

"I know the horse is fast and I just have to be careful that I do not get too deep to the jumps with him because they come down so easily," he explained. "Coming across the one oxer and to the wall and a few other jumps, I didn't want to place him underneath the jump too much; that was my main focus. He is naturally very quick in the turns, so I have to let him go fast, but give him room to make a good jump."


For full results, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment