Sunday 23 January 2011

Nick Skelton wins two-star Grand Prix in Wellington

Nick Skelton and Big Star.
By sportfot.com
Britain's Nick Skelton notched his third major victory of the 2011 FTI Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF), this time winning the $40,000 Equine Couture/Tuff Rider two-star Grand Prix with Beverly and Gary Widdowson's Big Star on Saturday, 22 January.

There were 37 entries in the Grand Prix, but only three were able to go clear over Belgian designer Luc Musette's first round course to make the jump-off. A further four jumped clear but gained a single time fault.

"It wasn't overly big, but it was quite tricky," said Nick of the course "[Luc] did a very good job. He is a very good course builder."

Jump-off

The pathfinder in the jump-off was Brianne Goutal, 22, of New York on Nice de Prissey, a 2001 Selle Francais stallion by Rosire x Amarpour. The pair put down a solid trip and kept all the jumps up, which put pressure on the two remaining riders. They finished in 43.85 seconds. Brianne and her mount, owned by Cloverleaf Farm, finished eventual second.

Brianne Boutal and Nice de Prissy.
By sportfot.com
"It was a big class for my horse tonight. He is ten, but still a little green," said Brianne. "I have had him less than a year. I was really excited with how well he jumped in the first round, [then, in the jump-off] I had two very fast riders behind me. I tried to just go smooth and keeps the jumps up. I just wanted to give it a shot without losing control. He is still young and hasn't been in that many jump-offs, especially at this height, so I was thrilled with him tonight."

Next in was Nick, who won two classes in the opening week of the FTI WEF with Unique. This time he was riding Big Star, an eight-year-old Dutch stallion by Quick Star x Nimmerdor. Nick took risks throughout the jump-off and made a daring gallop to the final oxer. It paid off when the scoreboard flashed his time of 40.80 seconds for the win.

"I watched Brianne go and I thought she was quick, but I was worried about Yann because I know he can go faster than I could, so I thought that I had better get going," said Nick. "I rode badly really, because one to two I got too quick and then I couldn't turn him back to three, so I was very lucky at three."

He also noted that the long run to the final oxer didn't faze the young horse.

"It didn't seem to bother him," he said. "You can do whatever you want with him."

Canada's Yann Candele and Redefin, owned by Susan Grange, were the last to contest the prize. When a rail fell in the first of the double combination, the class result was determined. Yann finished the jump-off with four faults in 44.83 seconds for third place.

"I went last and I was hoping for them to have a rail somewhere so that I could keep having a chance, but they both went clear and Nick put on some pressure," said Yann. "The jump-off wasn't that good for me because it was a long gallop and my horse gets distracted for that kind of stuff. I came to the double and he knocked one down and it was over, that was it. We just went around and finished up for confidence."

Nick has had Big Star since he was five years old. Although Nick has competed in six Olympic Games and has ridden some of the most prolific show jumpers in history, he feels that Big Star is something really special.

"I have had some really good horses, but I don't think I have ever had one as good as this one," he said. "He is a freak. For an eight-year-old horse, he has the brain of a 12-year-old. He is really something else and he has all the qualities that you need."

For full results, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment