Saturday 30 July 2011

Piet Raymakers jnr speeds to victory at the Royal International

Piet Raymakers junior and Van Schijndel's Chanelly
Dutch rider Piet Raymaker's junior thrilled the Hickstead crowds with daring turns on Van Schijndel's Chanelly to win the Sky Sports Speed Classic at the Longines Royal International Horse Show.

He'd bettered an early target set by the USA's Beezie Madden (Prima) by 0.18 seconds cheered on enthusiastically by crowd's in the stands.

Support
"It was really good to have that support," said Piet, 28. "There were teammates, friends and family in there, but also quite a lot of people who had bet on me. I think they were the happiest!"

Piet praised the conditions in the main arena saying: "For me, I think the going has been good all week. The faults I've had while I have been here have had nothing to do with the ground conditions."

First win
Although this is the third time Piet has competed at Hickstead, this was his first win and he was nervous of the last two to go, Guy Williams and Laura Renwick.

"I know that they are both good at this type of class," said Piet.

However, both hit fences, adding precious seconds to their finishing times.

Speed demon
Piet's ride, a 12-year-old mare by Quidam du Revel, looked as though she really enjoyed every minute of the class.

"She absolutely loves it and has won eight speed classes this year," he said. "I have to start off a little slower or she gets too excited, but she feels better and better the further she goes.

"She's so sweet and always gives 200 percent; she could go out and do the same again tomorrow. I don't have another one like her so I'll take good care of her."

No comments:

Post a Comment