Saturday 30 July 2011

Laura Renwick and John Whitaker score two more British RIHS wins

Laura Renwick and Roller Coaster III win the Bunn Leisure
International Stakes
Laura Renwick headed a British one-two three in the Bunn Leisure International stakes with Roller Coaster III. Sitting in second and third were brothers Michael (Viking V) and John Whitaker (Dazzle II).

John had held the lead from first draw in the 41-starter table C class before Laura took four seconds off his time 23 horses later. A neat cut inside two fences to an oxer at seven enabled her to gain the advantage. The same fence had fallen for many of her rivals.

Cleverly placed
"The fence was very cleverly positioned near the in gate and slightly on an angle [from the short approach]," said Laura. "If you didn't get it exactly right, it was going to fall."

Michael put in a late charge, but he was still 0.62 seconds adrift and finished third.

Setting sights
Laura is now concentrating her efforts on the Queen Elizabeth II Cup and King George Gold Cup this weekend (30 July - 1 August 2011).

"I am riding Parvati de Breve in the Queen's," sahe said. "I am determined to win it again having won it two years ago [with Limelight de Breve]. I'll be riding Oz de Breve in the King George, which is the ultimate here for me.

"This is Oz's first show back since Lisbon. He wasn't right there and I had him blood tested when I got home. He had a virus, so I am really pleased with the way he's been jumping here this week."

John Whitaker and Argento win the Bunn Leisure Salver
Whitaker win
John gained his own win with Argento in the Bunn Lesiure Salver. This was a jump-off class with six of the 32 starters going forward to round two.

"I actually jumped him today because I am still unsure whether or not to jump him in the King George on Sunday," said John. "He went well on Thursday, had a day off yesterday and I wanted to get him in the [international] arena again to help me make up my mind.

"It will be the biggest thing he has ever jumped, but I am 99.9 percent sure I'll be taking him in it now."

Good run of success
Recently, John has won the Geesteren CSI**** Grand Prix, the Suffolk Show International Trial and finished runner up in the British Master Grand Prix with the nine-year-old son of Arko. However, he is saving him for Nations Cup duties until next year.

Together with his wife, Clare, they are now the sole owners of the son of Arko, having bought Argento's breeder Keeley Durham's share in him. This will secure John's continued partnership with the horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment